Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting the Portraits assignment...






We officially received our next assignment this week- and this one is definitely why I chose to take Life Drawing II as my last Art Studio Selective. Because my artwork deals a lot with portraiture and capturing the likeness of a person, face and body, these drawings that we are assigned will be an obvious help in improving my accuracy in describing form. While the first half of the semester we worked mostly on rendering the skull and getting the proportions correct for that, now we can actually add hair and features and the shadowing of the skin. I think I'm really going to look forward to putting the whole skeleton together after this project, looking at the whole body's bone structure and finally being able to understand the skeleton from head to toe, and say that I can accurately draw a person from head to toe.

For this project we are given 4 separate days in class to draw the face from 3 different views, with the fourth day being one where we pose as the model. The 3 different views are from 3/4th back view, 3/4ths front view, and then a “unique” position where the face is at an awkward angle to challenge you. We talked about proportions of the neck and head and reviewed things we learned in Life Drawing I about eye spacing, nose and lips spacing, and plane of the face, to help us get back and comfortable into accurately drawing the figure. What is so different from this then when I paint the figure is that in my paintings I just focus on light and shadow and color as a way to describe the face. I really think these 4 drawings will influence my paintings I produce from now on greatly because without knowing it I think I will instinctively measure out things in my head for accuracy based on the principles I have learned in this class.

(Above are just 3 portrait pieces that I really like because of their overall composition/allure AND accuracy)

No comments:

Post a Comment